Thursday 22 March 2012

Connect to MSDE

I have confirmed that MSDE is running on a workstation.
However, when I attempt to add it in EM, it doesn't
exist. Is there any changes I have to make on that
workstation running MSDE so that I can access it via EM ?
Besides, I have made a copy of the MDF file. We just want
to find out what is stored in the database. Is it
possible for us to access the data directly with Access
ADP or we have to attach it to another SQL Server ?
Thanks
Hi,
I. You can very well register and access MSDE using EM. Try identify the SQl
server name by reading the SQL Server Error log and
use the same name to register in EM.
II. You need to attach the MDF and LDF file into a SQL Server by giving
Database name using SP_ATTACH_DB command. After that
you could access the database to read/write the data
Thanks
Hari
SQL Server MVP
"Peter" <anonymous@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:093101c53fd0$62593c90$a601280a@.phx.gbl...
>I have confirmed that MSDE is running on a workstation.
> However, when I attempt to add it in EM, it doesn't
> exist. Is there any changes I have to make on that
> workstation running MSDE so that I can access it via EM ?
> Besides, I have made a copy of the MDF file. We just want
> to find out what is stored in the database. Is it
> possible for us to access the data directly with Access
> ADP or we have to attach it to another SQL Server ?
> Thanks
|||Peter
You will probably find you need to create an alias for the server msde is
running on. Use the client network utility in your SQL Server program group
to do this. Add the alias for whatever network protocol you are using.
Hope this helps
John
"Hari Prasad" wrote:

> Hi,
> I. You can very well register and access MSDE using EM. Try identify the SQl
> server name by reading the SQL Server Error log and
> use the same name to register in EM.
> II. You need to attach the MDF and LDF file into a SQL Server by giving
> Database name using SP_ATTACH_DB command. After that
> you could access the database to read/write the data
> Thanks
> Hari
> SQL Server MVP
>
> "Peter" <anonymous@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:093101c53fd0$62593c90$a601280a@.phx.gbl...
>
>
|||Hi Hari,
Can you help me on following ?
Have developed Client/Server (VB.NET) application with SQL Server 2000
backend engine. It is working fine. This application can connect to
Database engine if user in our LAN or WAN.
Now, my users need to work on application while they are not in our
network. For instance from Hotel, travel etc.. To achieve this, I
thought to have MSDE installed on user's laptop and get copy of SQL 2k
DB on user machine. But. here I got stuck !. Woudl really appreciate if
you could help me !
MSDE engine, I hope that I can d/load from MS site. Belive that can be
installed easly like other MS application. Upon installation, how can I
get my SQL 2K DB attached or Sychronized ?
What about login id (like "sa") to connect to MSDE engine from my
applciation. I will modify my application user to choose DB engine LOCAL
or LAN. If LAN, I will use my existing connection string. But, LOCAL,
what would be the provider, password, user id etc..
Never user MSDE, so queries will be bit more.
Appreciate all your help to get this resolved.
Many thanks in advance..
Regards,
AJ
*** Sent via Developersdex http://www.codecomments.com ***

No comments:

Post a Comment