Sunday 25 March 2012

Connect to online webhost MS SQL database

Hello,
I signed up with 1and1 for webhosting and picked the business package which includes MS SQL server. I would like to connect to
this database from a local Visual Studio C#.NET 2003 IDE. I went to the server explorer and tried to create a new data connection,
filled in the database server, uid, password and database name but was not able to connect to it. The error said "the server does
not exist or access denied". Does anyone know how I can do this? I would like to make some data sets and populate them with data
from the online database.
Thanks,
Max.Hi
In general I would not expect you to work on a live database in this way! I
would expect any changes to use a local copy to be developed and tested
before going live. The live upgrade can either be packaged as scripts or a
backup to be implemented on the live system. This would help prevent you
implementing bad code and causing system problems by developing on live. You
should also be able to implement source code control and have roleback
strategies for any release.
Your host should provide tools to manage/upgrade the database.
John
"Max" wrote:
> Hello,
> I signed up with 1and1 for webhosting and picked the business package which includes MS SQL server. I would like to connect to
> this database from a local Visual Studio C#.NET 2003 IDE. I went to the server explorer and tried to create a new data connection,
> filled in the database server, uid, password and database name but was not able to connect to it. The error said "the server does
> not exist or access denied". Does anyone know how I can do this? I would like to make some data sets and populate them with data
> from the online database.
> Thanks,
> Max.
>

No comments:

Post a Comment