Thursday 22 March 2012

Connect to MSDE file on ISP Server

Are there any articles about connecting a MDB or ADP front-end to a MSDE
database that is located on our ISP's server? When I try to Google the
subject, I get a bazillion hits but non really apply to WAN connections.
Any help or pointers would be appreciated
Paul P
There is nothing special to do when connecting to MSDE over the WAN, all you
have to do is to use the connection parameters given to you by your ISP; the
only condition being that the port 1433 has not been blocked. (Because of
security concerns, more and more ISP are blocking the port 1433 at the
firewall level.)
If you want to have more details for the connection string:
http://www.able-consulting.com/ADO_Conn.htm
http://www.connectionstrings.com/
I suggest that you ask your ISP about this.
S. L.
"Paul Proefrock" <proefrock@.sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
news:OXISVonAFHA.904@.TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Are there any articles about connecting a MDB or ADP front-end to a MSDE
> database that is located on our ISP's server? When I try to Google the
> subject, I get a bazillion hits but non really apply to WAN connections.
> Any help or pointers would be appreciated
> Paul P
>
|||Hi Sylvain,
I can't connect to MSDE on my ISP also. I just called them (my ISP) and
they informed me that port 1433 was not blocked. I know that the TCP/IP is
enabled on the MSDE and sql server logins are allowed. When I try to
register the msde from my local enterprise manager I can't. Is there
anything else that may cause it to fail that you are aware of? Oh - is there
a way to remotely check to see if 1433 is blocked just in case I was given
bad info?
Thanks in advance, Mike
"Sylvain Lafontaine" wrote:

> There is nothing special to do when connecting to MSDE over the WAN, all you
> have to do is to use the connection parameters given to you by your ISP; the
> only condition being that the port 1433 has not been blocked. (Because of
> security concerns, more and more ISP are blocking the port 1433 at the
> firewall level.)
> If you want to have more details for the connection string:
> http://www.able-consulting.com/ADO_Conn.htm
> http://www.connectionstrings.com/
> I suggest that you ask your ISP about this.
> S. L.
> "Paul Proefrock" <proefrock@.sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> news:OXISVonAFHA.904@.TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>
>
|||You may try to add the port 1433 after the TCP/IP address (separated by a
comma) and also specify that you want to use the TCP/IP protocol by
explicitely mentionning the DBMSSOCN network library; something like:
Provider=sqloledb;Data Source=190.190.200.100,1433;Network
Library=DBMSSOCN;Initial Catalog=pubs;User ID=sa;Password=asdasd
The Network library was mandatory on Win98, if I remember correctly, but
shouldn't be necessary with WinXP. Also, make sure that you have the latest
service pack applied, as well as MDAC 2.8 (won't hurt). Don't forget to
check for a firewall on your own side.
You can try to ping the remote address on the port 1433. Often, the address
of the SQL-Server is not the same as the address of the web site; because it
is located on another machine than the web server.
Beside that, I don't know.
S. L.
"Michael McTaggart" <Michael McTaggart@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:BC06CED5-780A-4B21-8D40-1C2332D796F6@.microsoft.com...[vbcol=seagreen]
> Hi Sylvain,
> I can't connect to MSDE on my ISP also. I just called them (my ISP) and
> they informed me that port 1433 was not blocked. I know that the TCP/IP
> is
> enabled on the MSDE and sql server logins are allowed. When I try to
> register the msde from my local enterprise manager I can't. Is there
> anything else that may cause it to fail that you are aware of? Oh - is
> there
> a way to remotely check to see if 1433 is blocked just in case I was given
> bad info?
> Thanks in advance, Mike
>
> "Sylvain Lafontaine" wrote:

No comments:

Post a Comment