Thursday 22 March 2012

Connect to MSDE Instance via Internet.

I am trying to connect to a MSDE instance across the internet.
I installed it at my house and can connect from work no problem.
Installed it at a customers and I can not connect to it.
I can access their Linksys router and have the correct ports forwarded (I
tried setting the DMZ on, it made no difference) 1434 UPD and 3605 TCP
(although I have them set to BOTH at this time)
Netstat -an shows that both 3605 and 1434 are listening.
TELNET 72.XXX.XXX.50 3605
(I also tried TELNET 72.XXX.XXX.50\InstanceName 3605) didn't know if I
needed the instance name.
Does nothing. But if I telnet my computer at home it clears the screen like
it should.
I have turned off their windows firewall and disabled their McAfee firewall
but no change.
I also open port 79 (we do some communication before we open SQL Server) and
it communicates fine. So I think I have the router set up OK.
Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks in advance,
Rob
PS. It was installed as follows:
setup SAPWD=XXXX DISABLENETWORKPROTOCOLS=0 SECURITYMODE=SQL INSTANCENAME=RRRob,
Always difficult ones.
I found that TCP and UDP 1433-1434 open on both inbound and outbound solved
my problems. Also, I had problems if there were 2 NICS involved. Always
configure connections for the lowest IP in the range.
The other issues I've had with MSDE was that MSDE did not enable the TCp/IP
protocol by default. Use Enterprise manager, r-click the server, properties,
network config and check that tcp/ip and named pipes are enabled protocols.
Jamie.
"Rob" wrote:

> I am trying to connect to a MSDE instance across the internet.
> I installed it at my house and can connect from work no problem.
> Installed it at a customers and I can not connect to it.
> I can access their Linksys router and have the correct ports forwarded (I
> tried setting the DMZ on, it made no difference) 1434 UPD and 3605 TCP
> (although I have them set to BOTH at this time)
> Netstat -an shows that both 3605 and 1434 are listening.
> TELNET 72.XXX.XXX.50 3605
> (I also tried TELNET 72.XXX.XXX.50\InstanceName 3605) didn't know if I
> needed the instance name.
> Does nothing. But if I telnet my computer at home it clears the screen li
ke
> it should.
> I have turned off their windows firewall and disabled their McAfee firewal
l
> but no change.
> I also open port 79 (we do some communication before we open SQL Server) a
nd
> it communicates fine. So I think I have the router set up OK.
> Does anyone have any ideas?
> Thanks in advance,
> Rob
> PS. It was installed as follows:
> setup SAPWD=XXXX DISABLENETWORKPROTOCOLS=0 SECURITYMODE=SQL INSTANCENAME=R
R
>
>

No comments:

Post a Comment