Saturday 25 February 2012

Confused about Server Express and Reporting Services

Hi

I am a novice in all Server related aspects, but I want to learn to use SQL server Express in combination with C# Express.

All really worked fined unbtil now: I want to use the Reporting Services and the Analysis Services, but I can't find any?!

I have no idea what to do right now. Also, i am working with Windos Home Edition, is the missing IIS the problem?

Thank you and lots of greetings from Germany

Quattrus

Analysis Services is not included in SQL Express, you will need to purchase a higher Edition of SQL Server 2005 to get that.

Reporting Services does require IIS, so it is not supported on Windows XP Home.

Regards,

Mike Wachal
SQL Express team

-
Mark the best posts as Answers!

|||

Thank you, Mike.

I now concentrate on Report Viewer.

Regards,

Quattrus

|||

Mike

Can you say whether MSFT plan to later bundle MSAS with SQL Express?

If not, can you explain the rationale for not including MSAS? [I had thought that MSFT had a big push on BI with SQL05 and Office07, and think that MSAS is a key/central part of that BI stack.]

Many thanks

Justin

|||

Hi Justin,

At this time we have no plans to bundle Analysis Services with SQL Express.

Analysis Services is really Enterprise functionaltiy and as such is not included in the features of Express. There are other Enterprise features that we don't include in Express, such as Clustering and Database Mirroring.

Express is targeted at the non-professional developer, hobbyist, student and anyone who is interested in doing smaller scale development, but wants to leverage the security, scalability and reliability of SQL Server. The Express feature set was picked to be useful for this scale of application and customer.

BI certainly is important to Microsoft, and you still have to capability to use the rich capabilities of products such as Excel to analyze data stored in SQL Express, in addition to the ability to create great reports using Reporting Services on top of SQL Express.

Regards,

Mike Wachal
SQL Express team

|||

Hi Mike,

(Excuse me for my English, I am French). You know the hobbyists, are also good doors for the professional solutions. For my part I begined with VB and SQL Express, and now we have several licences SQL processor and Visual Studio professional at my job.

But I continue to use the Express Edition at home for 2 raisons, (1) not to pirate, (2) I have XP Home edition which does not support IIS.

To have a full fonctionnal Express edition with Advanced Services (Reporting services that i use at job), I miss a IIS emulator.

Regards,

Dominique

No comments:

Post a Comment