Sunday 19 February 2012

Confirm SP install on a cluster

Hi,
How do I know that the installation of a SP was successfully done on both
nodes of a 2-node cluster?
I installed SQL 2005 SP1 on the active node of my 2-node cluster and after
it had successfully completed. I checked the productlevel to confirm and then
failed over to the other node and checked the productlevel there as well. Is
that good enough? Should I bee looking elsewhere, such as maybe
date-time-stamp on certain files, registry entries, file versions, etc?
Thanks.Hello Rob, the updates to the dlls and exe files under c:\program
files\microsoft sql server\mssql\binn can also me checked for versioning
information if you wish. the SQL that is aplied during the install will be in
the server no matter what server your on obviously. In my experience when a
service pack fails to update binaries properly for a cluster and SP1 for
SQL2000 did you will be a message on the node it failed on that it can no
longer run the SQL resource and it will fail back to the other node that was
updated properly usually the one you ran the SP on.
Hope that helps
John Vandervliet
"Rob" wrote:
> Hi,
> How do I know that the installation of a SP was successfully done on both
> nodes of a 2-node cluster?
> I installed SQL 2005 SP1 on the active node of my 2-node cluster and after
> it had successfully completed. I checked the productlevel to confirm and then
> failed over to the other node and checked the productlevel there as well. Is
> that good enough? Should I bee looking elsewhere, such as maybe
> date-time-stamp on certain files, registry entries, file versions, etc?
> Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment