Saturday 25 February 2012

Confused about MSSQL Express installations

I have this confusion because as I am trying to install "SQL Server Management Studio Express", the installers said I already have it.

Q1. Do I need it if I already have SQL Server Management Studio for Server 2005?

Q2.

How many ways to have SQL Express installed on your PC?

- Seperate downloads

- Visual Studio 2005 Retail

- SQL Server 2005

In that regards, will all methods are basically install the same set of components into the machine?

Q3. I don't find any relevant item in the "Add or Remove Programs" regarding to SQL Express.

Is that because SQLExpress is just an database instance not a application item?

Q4. Where are the files of Express in the file system?

I saw in c:\Program files\Microsoft SQL Server, a few directories like

80, 90, MSSQL.1, MSSQL.2, MSSQL.3, MSSQL.3, MSSQL.4

Which one of those belongs to SQL Express and which belongs to SQL Server 2005?

Is the directory structure identical with other types of installation (standalone and VS IDE)?

Thanks

Stanley

If you have the full version of SQL Management studio the installer will not allow you to install the express version as it is already installed.

Each of the numbered directories refers to an instance of sql server 2005 installed on the system. The engine tool and shared files are stored inside the version directories ie 80 or 90... where 80 is sql server 2000 and 90 is sql server 2005.

|||I too have had problems re the above. I uninstalled what I had, and then reinstalled my first download of SQLexpress. I configured (re help), added in online books, searched for answers re an interface and found something on dnncreative forum re the management download. This time I was able to install it.

Sorry for not being too specific, but it all became a blurr. Perhaps you could try without configuring, if that doesnt work, youll find what you need to know online amongst the configuring ...

No comments:

Post a Comment