Saturday 25 February 2012

Confused about MSDE installation

I needed to distribute the MSDE components to the computers that use my
software so I decided to build a setup program using InstallShield that
included the MSDE files.
After I ran the installation, I noticed that the setup created a folder on
my computer using the MSDE instance name I told the setup program to used
prefixed by a "$" character. So the folder created for an instance named
such as MACHOGRANDE was "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL
Server\MSSQL$MACHOGRANDE"
After noticing that, I went on to explore this folder and notice that it had
a bunch of files in it, I was surprised to see that one of the files was
named sqlservr.exe! It almost looked like the installation of my MSDE
instance was like a totally independent sql server installation! Like if it
had nothing to do with the other MSDE instance I had running. I doubt this
is the case since I am pretty sure there must be a gazzilion other files
installed on the computer that are sheared by all the database that use the
MSDE engine.
So my question is,
1. Why did the instance of MSDE crated all of this extra files (such as
sqlservr.exe)? Instead of simply created the ldf and mdf files like a
regular SQL server database? Aren't the MSDE and SQL server supposed to be
the same thing?
2. Also is there a special reason for the "$" character"?
Thanks
Rene,
what happened is actually exactly what should happen. If you install a
new (named)instance it will always be installed in a folder like
MSSQL$Instancename. It doesn't even matter if you use MSDE or any other
SQL Server edition. A new instance includes it's own sqlserver.exe and
is basically a new installation of the SQL Server engine.
If you just wanted to add a new database you could have done so in your
existing SQLServer installation.
>2. Also is there a special reason for the "$" character"?
I have no idea why MS uses $, probably someone at MS thought this makes
it easier to see that your dealing with a named instance.
M
|||Thanks Markus,
If you don't mind, could you tell me if MSDE suffers from the same security
issues as the regular SQL Server?
For example, if a security vulnerability was found in SQL Server where the
server could be exploited by a hacker from the Internet, will I also have
the same problem with the MSDE instance? Or do MSDE instances only run
locally therefore its immune to those types of attacks?
Thanks.
"MarkusB" <m.bohse@.quest-consultants.com> wrote in message
news:1126682536.660588.222940@.f14g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...
> Rene,
> what happened is actually exactly what should happen. If you install a
> new (named)instance it will always be installed in a folder like
> MSSQL$Instancename. It doesn't even matter if you use MSDE or any other
> SQL Server edition. A new instance includes it's own sqlserver.exe and
> is basically a new installation of the SQL Server engine.
> If you just wanted to add a new database you could have done so in your
> existing SQLServer installation.
> I have no idea why MS uses $, probably someone at MS thought this makes
> it easier to see that your dealing with a named instance.
> M
>
|||Hi Rene,
Welcome to use MSDN Managed Newsgroup!
I have noticed you posted a duplicated post in the
microsoft.public.sqlserver.msde. To keep the integrity of newsgroup, I will
reply and follow up in that post. Thank you for your patience and
cooperation.
Sincerely yours,
Michael Cheng
Microsoft Online Partner Support
When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
================================================== ===
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
|||"Rene" <nospam@.nospam.com> wrote in message
news:O73fJRQuFHA.3452@.TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Thanks Markus,
> If you don't mind, could you tell me if MSDE suffers from the same
> security issues as the regular SQL Server?
> For example, if a security vulnerability was found in SQL Server where the
> server could be exploited by a hacker from the Internet, will I also have
> the same problem with the MSDE instance? Or do MSDE instances only run
> locally therefore its immune to those types of attacks?
>
MSDE is SQL Server, but in order to reduce the possibility that widely
dispersed MSDE machines could be vulnerable to a network attack, network
connectivity is off my default in MSDE (and its sucessor SQL 2005 Express
Edition).
See
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=8...21120121120120
David

No comments:

Post a Comment